- 2.5 pounds (any combination of sour) apples peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick (I use an apple corer and then slice each slice once more)
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
combine the above in a bowl and let macerate for 2 hours at room temp then put in a strainer for 30 min until 1/2 cup of juice is collected
microwave 2 tablespoons unsalted butter with the juices for 7 minutes until reduced to about 1/3 cup
mix apples with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch (i.e., a sprinkle) then mix in the reduced juices
put in pie and bake at 425 until done (~55 minutes). At 30 minutes, can try to put foil around the edges of the pie to prevent the crust from burning although I can never get the foil to stay on.
notes: I usually buy frozen bottom crusts and make the top crust: Pie Crust
I usually make 2 pies at once since it is a lot of work to slice the apples, make the crust, clean up, etc.